- Canoes, paddles, PFDs ($30 rental, at cost). You may bring your own canoe and paddle gear or, for solos, your own kayak. If bringing your own boat, we’ll assume you’ll have paddles and PFDs. If not, email me.
- Bicycle. A mountain or cyclocross bike is required. Road/city bikes are not allowed due to substantial singletrack mountain biking. West MI Bike & Fitness (call the Kentwood store; talk to Evert III) may have a few bikes available for rental. Reserve now if you need one.
- Bike helmet (must be specifically approved for biking)
- 70 oz. of water or energy drink (in a Camelbak-type hydration pack* or waist belt preferred). EACH TEAMMATE MUST CARRY THEIR OWN WATER/SPORTS DRINK and you must have this capacity during all legs of the race (if you are using water bottles on the bike to get to this capacity, you must maintain that capacity on non-bike legs
- Pants/tights and water-resistant jacket (weather-dependent; a cold driving rain can quickly cause hypothermia. If the forecast calls for good weather, we will drop this requirement in advance of the race.
- Compass – baseplate or sighting
- Mobile phone, fully charged and sealed in ziplock or waterproof bag
- Waterproof map case or doubled-up ziplock baggies for map. The map is not waterproof. You must protect it with contact paper/clear tape.
- $10 cash for emergency food or water
- Basic first aid kit
- Emergency/space/mylar blanket – metallic style, $2-$3 each at Meijer, outdoor/camping store or online.
Bill & Paul’s is offering a 10% discount up until the day of the race on the following with proof of registration: hydration products, trail footwear and socks, compasses/navigation tools, fitness watches (except Freestyle or Timex), headlights, nutrition, and paddlesport clothing.
Gazelle Sports is offering 10% any product in their store at early check in with bib number/proof of registration.
Suggested Gear – We recommend Gazelle Sports, Bill & Paul’s Sporthaus, and West Michigan Bike & Fitness for these items. They sponsor the race so please thank them when you stop in.
- Contact paper or clear tape to waterproof your instruction sheet and map (at Meijer in household goods)
- First aid kit
- Trail running shoes
- Outdoor/athletic socks
- Food (energy gel, bars, etc.)
- Spare tires
- Tire pump
- Tire levers
- Synthetic, wicking t-shirt
- Bike shorts
- Bike gloves
- ArtPrize only: Shoes with spikes. Recessed cleats on bike shoes ARE allowed.
- GPS that allows you to determine your location on a map is not allowed. A GPS watch is ok, but only to check your route after the race
- Motorized anything
- Sherpas, pack mules, llamas, yetis or other living transport options